Of the several makeup products, setting powders find a place in every woman’s vanity kit. These setting powders help to set the foundation or any other makeup on the face. This is the main reason why most women make use of these powders to make their face look attractive and natural. Setting powders act as great mattifiers and prevent the make-up from running-off the face. Setting powders are available for all skin types.
When it comes to dry skin, setting powders with special ingredients and formulation work the best. Here, we will help you to find the best setting powder for dry skin.
What is Dry Skin?
Before getting to know the best setting powder for dry skin, it is important to know what dry skin is and its causes and problems faced by women with dry skin. Dry skin is a skin condition where the skin does not have enough moisture. Dry skin is not a serious issue, and women can handle this problem by using the right skin products. Factors like cold and hot weather or low moisture in the air or using the wrong face products may lead to women developing dry skin.
Women who have dry skin can develop:
- Skin tightness during bathing, swimming, or showering
- Rough-feeling and looking skin
- Itchiness on the skin
- Fine lines on the skin
- Cracks on the skin
- Flaking or peeling of the skin
- Gray and ashy skin
However, these dry skin symptoms vary from one woman to another and usually depend upon the age, health, environment, and underlying cause of dry skin. The dry skin condition is often temporary, but if it prolongs and leads to the development of skin problems, it is essential to consult a dermatologist.
The following are the major reasons for dry skin:
- Weather: During winters, many women develop dry skin. This is because the atmosphere’s humidity level is very low, and the skin is unable to get the natural moisture.
- Heat: Heat often leads to the development of dry skin. Central heating, space heaters, and fireplaces installed in houses often cause dry skin for most women.
- Hot baths and showers: Staying in hot showers or swimming in chlorinated water leads to dry skin development. This is because hot water and chlorine do not help the skin to maintain the proper moisture levels leading to dry skin.
- Use of harsh soaps: Women often use harsh soaps and detergents and shampoos that make the skin lose its natural moisture and become dry. These harsh soaps also contain ingredients that remove oil from the skin, thereby leading to dry skin.
- Skin conditions: Many women who have certain skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, or dermatitis may develop dry skin.
Tips to Prevent Dry Skin
Women can prevent dry skin and its symptoms by following the tips below:
- Women must make sure to moisturize their skin using the right products so that the skin’s moisture stays put and is not lost.
- To prevent dry skin, exposure to water must be minimal. Shower time must be around 10 minutes or so to ensure that water does not drain the skin of its natural moisture.
- Limiting the use of soaps is a good way to prevent dry skin. Instead, women can use products like cleansers and shower gels with extra moisturizers.
- Since most women develop dry skin in winters, they must cover their skin to protect the skin from cold and windy weather.
Why Use Setting Powder on Dry Skin?
Dry skin is flaky and may have cracks in it, and on the application of makeup, the skin may give an ashen appearance. However, the use of setting powder on the skin can prevent dry skin from looking bad. This is because setting powder prevents the foundation from sliding down the skin. Also, the setting powder locks in all the skin’s natural moisture and helps the skin appear glowing and attractive.
How to Apply Setting Powder on Dry Skin?
Women can follow these steps to apply setting powder on dry skin:
- The first step is to moisturize the skin using the right moisturizing products like gels and cream. It is important to ensure that the skin absorbs all the moisture before using any other product.
- The next step is to apply the primer to prepare the face for makeup.
- After the application of primer, apply the foundation as per the skin type and skin tone.
- The last step is to apply the powder with a light hand. This way, the skin can retain its moisture and also breathe and look healthy.
Types of Setting Powders for Dry skin
There are many types of setting powders available in the marketplace for use on dry skin:
- Loose powders: Loose powders work best to give a luminous finish to the skin. These powders offer light coverage as they contain mineral elements.
- Pressed powders: These powders are usable for women who want a more controlled coverage. These are available in several shades.
- Translucent powder: This type of powder offers great coverage and even evens out the skin tone. It also helps to cover all blemishes, dark spots, and pimples on the skin. This powder also covers any roughness on dry skin in a very effective manner.
- Colored powders: These are powders that contain pigments. These are perfect for dry skin that is discolored, scarred, or has spots.
- Finishing powder: This is a white powder that best helps cover fine lines on the dry skin. The application of this powder offers a perfect look to the face.
Best Setting Powder for Dry Skin Reviews
Here’s a list of the best setting powder for dry skin along with their pros and cons so that women can easily decide which one suits them the best.
1. BareMinerals Original Foundation Review - Loose Powder Foundation with SPF
This product works both as a foundation as well as a powder. Its creamy texture is easy to apply as a foundation. The coverage it provides helps to set the make-up in place for a long time. The use of the powder ensures that the skin looks luminous and attractive.
The product is light-weight and natural, which means it is apt for all-day use. The formulation of the product is natural as it does not contain any parabens, artificial fragrances, oils, waxes, and preservatives. This also means that the use of the product does not have any adverse effects on the skin. This is the best loose setting powder for dry skin. It also helps to minimize pores as well as skin imperfections.
Where to Buy BareMinerals Original Foundation Review
2. MAC Studio Careblend Pressed Powder - For all skin types, Dermatologist & Ophthalmologist Tested
This cream-based powder is best suitable for dry skin as it offers extra hydration to the skin. The powder has a creamy texture. On application, it sets the make-up so that it lasts for a long time.
The powder glides on the skin smoothly and offers sheer to medium coverage. The formulation of the powder ensures that the skin gets conditioned and nourished. This makes this powder a great one for dry skin.
Where to Buy MAC Studio Careblend Pressed Powder
3. Clinique Almost Powder Makeup - Best Setting Powder For Dry Skin
This is the best translucent setting powder for dry skin and comes in small and handy packaging. The application of the powder helps to give a natural look and helps to get a no-makeup look.
The powder is free from artificial fragrances and oils. It also contains antioxidants that help to fight free radicals that may damage the skin. The powder formula does not cause any allergies and, therefore, suitable for sensitive skin as well.
It is a long-lasting formula that sets the make-up in place. The powder also contains SPF and is translucent.
Where to Buy Clinique Almost Powder Makeup
4. Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder - Best Setting Powder For Mature Skin
This powder from Smashbox is a skin-perfecting powder that gives the skin a smooth and satin finish. The powder is an anti-aging powder that prevents premature aging of the skin and prevents wrinkles and fine lines.
The powder’s formulation contains 48 minerals and 11 amino acids, thereby helping it fight against free radicals. The powder also contains hydrating agents that revitalize the skin and keep it moisturized, making it perfectly suitable for dry skin.
Where to Buy Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder
5. Cover FX Setting Powder - Talc Free Setting Powder
This is a talc-free powder that helps to give the skin a luminous look. The powder also has moisturizing benefits, thereby allowing the skin to stay hydrated and look naturally beautiful.
The powder also contains antioxidants that help to protect the skin from the harmful impacts of free radicals. Free radicals cause premature aging of the skin and result in free wrinkles and fine lines.
The powder’s application also helps to soothe the skin and reduces redness that is a result of inflammation. The powder also contains micronized green tea leaves that soothe the skin and also keep it moisturized.
Where to Buy Cover FX Setting Powder
6. Laura Mercier Powder - Smooth Finish, Lightweight, Oil-Free Foundation Powder
This powder lasts a long time and helps keep makeup in place without any hassles. The powder is silky and smooth and helps to give the skin a natural and glowing appearance. It is light-weight and very easy to apply. The powder also offers sheer to medium coverage.
The powder also contains Vitamin E and Shea butter, both of which hydrate the skin and help fight against harmful radicals that may have damaging effects on the skin.
It gives the skin a soft and flawless look and is usable wet as well as dry.
Where to Buy Laura Mercier Powder
7. Makeup Forever Powder Foundation - Pro Finish Multi Use Natural Matte Powder
This powder serves a dual purpose; that of powder as well as a foundation. The product does not contain any parabens and is also oil-free. Also, it also is light-weight and helps to give a natural look to the skin. The application of the powder enriches the skin with nourishing ingredients.
The powder blends naturally with the skin and prevents the skin from dehydration.
Where to Buy Makeup Forever Powder Foundation
8. Urban Decay Naked Foundation Reviews - Urban Decay Definition Powder Foundation
This product from Urban Decay offers a matte finish to the skin and full coverage that lasts all day long. The powder’s application helps to keep the makeup in place for a long time without having to touch-up again and again.
The velvety formula of the powder is light-weight on the skin and diffuses light. This, in turn, helps cover all the fine lines and wrinkles on the skin, giving the skin a flawless appearance. On using, the powder offers a natural and no makeup look to the face. This powder is a must-have makeup product for every woman.
Where to Buy Urban Decay Naked Foundation Reviews
9. Sacha Buttercup Powder - Setting Powders For Medium To Dark Skin
This is the best setting powder for dry skin and helps to set makeup for a long time. The powder is the best translucent setting powder for dry skin and gives the skin a natural glow.
The powder is also non-comedogenic and unclogs all pores, thereby helping to give an even skin tone. The powder’s application helps to eliminate and blur all skin imperfections and helps to cover fine lines and wrinkles. The powder is also free from all types of artificial ingredients and works wonder on the skin.
The powder does not cause any allergies as well and is best suitable for daily use.
Where to Buy Sacha Buttercup Powder
10. L'oreal Hydra Perfecte Loose Powder - Best Translucent Setting Powder for Dry Skin
This powder from L’Oreal is the best loose setting powder for dry skin that keeps the skin hydrated and nourished because of the nourishing ingredients it contains. On application, the powder keeps the makeup in place and helps to hide all fine lines and pores, thereby giving the skin a flawless and natural look.
With the applicator puff, this powder is very easy to apply and is also available in three different shades. The powder is available at a pocket-friendly price.
Where to Buy L'oreal Hydra Perfecte Loose Powder
Conclusion Of Our Research on Best Setting Powder for Dry Skin
Our Choice: The winner of the round up that we recommend would be Sacha Buttercup Powder (Setting Powders For Medium To Dark Skin). The powder is available as a loose variant and the best translucent setting powder for dry skin. The absence of artificial fragrances and other preservatives, the powder is suitable for daily use. Though it is available at a higher price than other products, its benefits outshine the price.
The Sacha Buttercup powder helps hide all skin imperfections- be it fine lines or wrinkles, thereby giving the skin a beautiful and natural look. The powder is also available in three shades, thereby meeting the need of women with all types of skin tones. The powder is also non-comedogenic and does not clog pores, thereby helping the skin to retain its moisture and stay nourished from deep inside.